Breadcrumb Reads

This is the companion blog to my main book blog, Breadcrumb Reads. My reading tastes veer towards the classics, literary fiction, creative non-fiction and historical fiction.

Georgette Heyer's Regency World - Jennifer Kloester It's been quite a few weeks, running into months, since I picked up Jennifer Kloester's well-researched book on the world of Georgette Heyer's Regency romances. It's a purely factual book that details places, customs, culture, dress code, the shopping and travelling experiences, hobbies available to men and women, upper-society's social etiquette, tourist spots and prominent people of the day.

Most of what I read I was very much aware of through reading lots of books and watching lots of movies based in this era. But it was nice to have my suspicions or guesses confirmed. At other times it was interesting to know certain other little facts, for instance, the difference between a tiger and a groom, the description and purpose of a 'yard of tin', the intricate details of the clothes Regency men and women wore and the like.

I would not recommend this book as an authority on all classes prevalent in England at the time. As the author declares, this book is just meant to make clear to us what would be quite incomprehensible in our time. Therefore, much of what is dealt with in here has to do with the upper-classes or the ton of England's society in the early 1800s.

In other words, this is a pretty good guide to aristocratic Regency England.