Risa

Breadcrumb Reads

This is the companion blog to my main book blog, Breadcrumb Reads. My reading tastes veer towards the classics, literary fiction, creative non-fiction and historical fiction.

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen, Anna Quindlen Until this last read Pride and Pregudice ranked 5 stars in my list. However, I seem to have lost it one star after this read for the following reason(s).

I found it a bit slow going this time around. Perhaps this was because I was in danger of going through a reading slump at the time. But mostly, for me, I found the Elizabeth-Darcy romance did not charm me as much as it used to. Not to mention that I found I didn't really care for Elizabeth as well as her father -- the one was too opinionated for my tastes and the other too flippant about everything. I, however, did find myself liking and respecting Jane a lot more (and Bingley as well). I have a feeling that my fifth time round of reading this book was influenced by my read of Sense and Sensibility only a few months previously. Having enjoyed the character of Elinor a great deal, I found much of her in Jane. And while I did not dislike Marianne, I found that what could be acceptable in a 17 year old, was simply annoying and irritating in a twenty-something year old a.k.a Elizabeth.

My reaction to the rest of the characters in the story were pretty much the same as before.

Where this particular novel once ranked among my favourites, I find it now having it's place only after Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion and Northanger Abbey!