Risa

Breadcrumb Reads

This is the companion blog to my main book blog, Breadcrumb Reads. My reading tastes veer towards the classics, literary fiction, creative non-fiction and historical fiction.

The Toll-Gate - Georgette Heyer I last read this book about 16 or 17 years ago. I couldn't recall a single thing about it, even as I read it now. It is one of Heyer's romance mysteries. I found it similar to another of her novels of this kind -- The Unknown Ajax -- perhaps because the heroes of both these stories are so alike -- blond, blue-eyed, handsome "giants" who could contrive to look stupid as they pleased, and were kind and full of laughter and good humour.

It made for a quick, light read, as do all Georgette Heyers. But I found myself getting a wee bit impatient as I am wont to with Heyer these days. She sometimes seems to have an unnecessary number of strangers talking a great deal of cant within the pages. Once I found it hilarious. But a stunt like this gets old fast. When one reads it in almost every Heyer book, one gets bored. The romance is sweet, though I quite object to the manner in which Heyer tends to describe tall people -- Captain Staple is "huge", like a "young giant", whilst his lady love is also "huge" (she is about 5'10" or something). There are a couple other books where she describes her heroes and heroines as huge, which seems a bit over-the-top. The mystery keeps one guessing, somewhat, and flows smoothly. Again, I found the end tiresome because there were too many people talking unnecessarily.

A nice, quick read. If you're not always reading Heyers, this would be a nice experience, though, if you want to try a romance mystery of hers I would suggest you read either [b:The Unknown Ajax|311095|The Unknown Ajax|Georgette Heyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320389044s/311095.jpg|302202] and/or [b:The Talisman Ring|32108|The Talisman Ring|Georgette Heyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320389050s/32108.jpg|1232335] first.