Risa

Breadcrumb Reads

This is the companion blog to my main book blog, Breadcrumb Reads. My reading tastes veer towards the classics, literary fiction, creative non-fiction and historical fiction.

Forbidden Mind (Forbidden, #1)

Forbidden Mind (Forbidden, #1) - Kimberly Kinrade I got a kindle version of this novel(la) from Smashwords when I found it was going free for a few days. What grabbed my attention about this book was its whole X-men-like theme (I love the X-men!). The premise is this - A school, nicknamed Rent-A-Kid, educates and trains children with paranormal powers. These kids and their powers are leant out to the highest bidder who needs to dig up dirt or take revenge on someone. But, when these kids turn eighteen they are allowed to "retire" and pursue their own lives. Sam is about to turn eighteen and she's looking forward to a 'normal' life in college when all of a sudden her entire life turns upside down on her first meeting with a new-comer into Rent-a-Kid. The rest of the book is a question of whether or not Sam and her friends will survive what they know.

Right from beginning to the end this book is fast paced. No words are wasted. The writer has a plan and she does not deviate a single bit. Things happen so fast you find yourself at the edge of your seat all the time! If I were looking for another book to compare this style of story-telling to, I would pick Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. This novel does not pretend to be anything that it is not. If you're looking for some racy adventure, with so many things happening so quickly together; if you're looking for something that is nail-bitingly exciting and refuses to drag its feet, then this book is worth a read.

Simply put, it is exciting!